Calgarians whose properties were ravaged by last year’s flood are demanding to know why the city has not applied for a program unveiled by the Alberta government nearly five months ago that could ease their financial strain.
Read more: http://tinyurl.com/kyrpw4v
Initial budget proposals indicate residents and businesses could face a one per cent increase in their municipal tax rate this year. That’s on top of an estimated 1.8 per cent increase in assessment (property) values.
Read more: http://tinyurl.com/lxphye6
Recent changes in Alberta’s liquor production regulations should encourage more “craft” breweries. But a Lethbridge businessman says they don’t go far enough.
Read more: http://tinyurl.com/mzxr647
County residents may pay a little less come tax time this year due to an unexpected jump in inflation – if county council ever passes its mill rate, that is.
Council voted 3-2 against first reading of its 2013 taxation rates bylaw Tuesday. Councillors Tom Flynn and Joe Milligan were in favour, while David Kluthe, Don McGeachy and Mayor Don Rigney were opposed.
Read more: http://tinyurl.com/b2vsysa
Red Deer residents are now facing a 4.29 per cent property tax increase following city council’s decision to add 18 positions to the police force.
After nearly three hours of debate so far on Thursday, council decided to add eight constables, six municipal employees and four supervisors over a two-year period.
Read more: http://tinyurl.com/acmffoh
With its gymnasium, nap rooms and campuslike setting, Intuit Canada’s south Edmonton office has long been regarded a great place to work.
But employees were still pleased to hear that the financial and tax software company will be moving downtown to the Epcor Tower in the fall of 2013. More than 200 Intuit employees are moving from their location at 7008 Roper Road to the 21st and 22nd floors in Edmonton’s newest office tower.
Read more: http://tinyurl.com/bsygqnk
Sylvan Lake councillors proposed a 2.4 per cent property tax rate increase for the 2013 budget, following more than 12 hours of discussion spread over Oct. 30 and 31, and Nov. 3.
Many owners will see a 1.3 per cent increase in their taxes because property values have declined since 2012, said Darren Moore, Sylvan Lake’s director of finance.
Read more: http://tinyurl.com/b3ry7yb
AIRDRIE – Airdrie city council got its first glance at the 2013 capital and operating budget Monday night, but will have to wait another month before officially deliberating on it.
City of Airdrie Director of Corporate Services Lucy Wiwcharuk presented administration’s draft of the budget to council Monday night. However, before council gets a chance to vote on it, the budget will have to be vetted through the Finance Advisory Committee. There were several members of the finance committee present at the council meeting to hear the presentation.
Read more: http://tinyurl.com/by3vnw8
Local residential versus non-residential tax rates seem to be the best in the area, and according to Strathcona County, that rate will only continue to get better.
The current split sees 67 per cent of taxes come from non-residential industries, while the remaining 33 per cent are a result of residential taxation.
Read more: http://tinyurl.com/c4rbqwt
OTTAWA — One of the first books a visitor notices in Sen. Percy Downe‘s downtown Ottawa office is one about foreign tax havens. His desk has piles of papers on overseas tax evasion, including a fact sheet — a Coles Notes version of five years of work.
He has been a lone actor for the most part, save for the help his staffers offer, but things changed in the last four weeks as MPs in the House of Commons began taking an interest in why not one fine, or one charge has ever been made public after years of investigating foreign tax evaders in one European country.
Read more: http://tinyurl.com/aa5yvh3